What is Flood?
how Flood can help you run your load tests
One of the biggest barriers to entry for load testing is its complexity. Traditional load testing requires:
- Scripting experience to accurately simulate a user's actions on a web app
- An understanding of networking protocols and the application's architecture
- Lots of physical machines to run tests on, which can be expensive to provision and maintain
Our goal at Flood is to take care of these complexities and enable anyone to do load testing.
Flood is a platform that allows you to upload and run load test scripts at scale on cloud-based and on-premise infrastructure. Here's how Flood fits into your load testing:
We've created what we think is the easiest way to get started with load testing, and it's called Test Builder. Test Builder is an interface we’ve built that allows you to run a load test without needing to learn how to code. You enter details like the URL to be tested and some basic parameters, and the Test Builder creates a JMeter script for you. We'll go over how to get started with Test Builder in this guide.
In addition, we also support a variety of opensource tools including JMeter, Gatling, Flood Element, and Selenium, so you can create scripts using your favourite tool(s).
While we don't write scripts for you, we may be able to help you out if you get stuck while scripting.
Running tests on multiple machines can be more difficult than it initially seems. With Flood, you can:
- Start as many load generators (nodes) as you want, scaling up and down on the fly
- Ensure that all nodes have identical copies of your load testing tool of choice, any other required software, your scripts, and your data files
- Run load tests simultaneously from a variety of geographical locations
- Leverage the power of different types of load testing tools to create a mixed tool test that gives you a more holistic picture of your application's performance
- Tear down machines easily after a test to avoid unnecessary costs
Flood's data collection pipeline allows you to:
- See results of tests on all nodes in real time, allowing you to spot issues while tests are still running
- Drill down on errors to see response codes, traces, and assertion errors
- Monitor nodes' resource utilization during tests
- Automatically collate test results from all nodes after a test
- View historical trends and more detailed metrics across floods
- Flood is a web-based application, so there's nothing to install or set up
- We have a knowledge base and a customer support team made up of experienced load testers who can help you get past your issues
- We take advantage of economies of scale from launching thousands of nodes per day and pass that cost saving onto you